By Rob Neyer
the most recent and maximum in ESPN.com baseball guru Rob Neyer's
substantial e-book sequence, Legends is a hugely wonderful advisor to baseball fables that
were passed down via generations.
The well-told baseball tale has lengthy been a staple for baseball enthusiasts. In Rob Neyer's large booklet of Baseball Legends, Neyer breathes new existence into either vintage and imprecise tales all through twentieth-century baseball -- tales that, whereas enticing all alone, additionally let us know interesting issues approximately their major characters and concerning the sport's exceedingly wealthy heritage. along with his signature variety, Rob will get to the guts of each anecdote, operating in the course of the details with cautious examine drawn from quite a few basic resources. for every tale, he asks: Did this rather take place? Did it take place, type of? Or used to be the tale easily the wild invention of a persons mind's eye? one of the ratings of legends Neyer questions and investigates...
- Did an errant Bob Feller pitch rather smash the profession of a countrywide League All-Star?
- Did Greg Maddux suggest to renounce a protracted blast to Jeff Bagwell?
- Was Fred Lynn the seize participant he thinks he was?
- Did Tommy Lasorda have a right away line to God?
- Did Negro Leaguer Gene Benson quite knock Indians moment baseman Johnny Berardino out of baseball and into common Hospital?
- Did Billy Martin rather outplay Jackie Robinson at any time when they met?
- Oh, and what approximately Babe Ruth's "Called Shot"?
Rob assessments every one tale, separates the truths from the myths, and areas their attention-grabbing characters into the bigger ancient context. packed with insider lore and Neyer's sharp wit and insights, this is often an exhilarating addition to an exceptional sequence and a vital learn for precise fanatics of our nationwide pastime.
Read Online or Download Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else PDF
Best baseball books
The interesting prequel to the bestselling The Boy Who stored Baseball. The destiny of a Wild West gold-mining city rests within the palms of 2 participants. One is a twelve-yearold boy with a love and intuition for baseball unequalled through any grown-up. the opposite is the rustic? s so much notorious outlaw, at the run and searching out peace of brain.
In over their heads? THE 12 months IS 1899, and the Travelin' 9 are barnstorming their method around the reliable ol' U. S. of A. , attempting to increase cash to repay the Payne family's big-league debt. Griffith has a run-in with the Chancellor and learns that the baseball is not the merely merchandise the notorious industrialist is after.
I went to go to my Grandma Leah in Chicago, and we went to a White Sox video game. Doesn’t sound like this kind of immense deal, correct? good, here’s the thing—Grandma performed within the game!
Lenny, Mike, and different Mike are again at school for the consideration that's 7th grade, and this 12 months, Mike is decided to make catcher at the middle-school group. while Mike's exertions will pay off and he wins the coveted postition, Lenny is a bit jealous, yet he will accept being the team's unofficial announcer.
- 27 Men Out: Baseball's Perfect Games
- Clearing the Bases: The Greatest Baseball Debates of the Last Century
- Clearing the Bases: Juiced Players, Monster Salaries, Sham Records, and a Hall of Famer's Search for the Soul of Baseball
- The Tiger Wore Spikes: An Informal Biography of Ty Cobb, Baseball's Greatest Player
Extra info for Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else
Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else by Rob Neyer